Thursday, August 14, 2008

Mommy brain

Despite all fears & predictions, we have had a relatively mild summer here so far. Mild meaning only a few days over 95 degrees. Most days are in the mid 80's and tolerable. Last year, when Owen was tiny, the summer was unbearable. It was sweltering hot every day, and I could hardly go anywhere with him because of it. I got so cabin-feverish that I started making Keith crazy.

Last night we went for a walk after dinner and it was gorgeous, I mean, low 70's, beautiful summer night. Keith said "It's a lot like our first summer here." And I almost stopped walking - seriously - because I realized that this is our fourth summer at this condo and I literally cannot remember a single summer other than last year. Come to think of it, I can hardly remember anything that happened in the couple of years before Owen was born. Is this some type of strange adaptation that happens to moms? What did my summers look like before Owen? What did we do? I know that Keith biked a lot, and I went to San Diego a lot, but other than that, I am telling you, it is blank.

Am I the only one?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

B.C. (Before Children) I think we slept, read, watched TV, and did things spontaneously...and ha ha ha ha ha went to movies in the theater. A.C. (After Children)..well, yeah.

JennC said...

One time when I was being a horrible, demanding teenager I remember my mother saying "You know, I had a life BEFORE you" and I thought it was a very odd thing to say because of course she had no existence until I was born. Then I got older and realized that she was right, and she probably had had a very interesting and fulfilling life that I knew nothing about. And then I had kids and realized that actually I WAS RIGHT, because even if she DID have a life before I was born it wasn't like she even remembered it......hehehe