Friday, April 18, 2008

College bound

On the way to work this morning, we were stopped at a red light behind a car that had a license plate holder saying “Alumni” on top with the school name at the bottom.

KEITH: Why do these things always say “alumni” instead of “alumnus”?
ME: Well…consider the school.
KEITH: It’s not that bad a school, is it?
ME: No, but it made the joke work, see?
KEITH: Ah yes.
ME: Not that Owen will go to that school.
KEITH: No, it’s true.
BOTH OF US IN UNISON (dreamily): Cal.
ME: Or UCSD.
KEITH: Yeah, UCSD. Or M.I.T. [pause] Nope, too far.
ME: Well, UC Davis would also be ok. Or University of Oregon.
KEITH: But really: Cal.
OWEN: Ooohoohooh! Dadada! pbbbbttttttttttttt
KEITH: Well said, Owen. [then, to me] I think he’s letting us know we’re getting a little ahead of ourselves.

2 comments:

JennC said...

Please God, tell me it wasn't a "Cal State Fullerton Alumni" holder.....although I know they are out there. Sigh.

Lauren said...

Nope, it wasn't. It's acronym does contain "SLO" in it which makes me laugh, considering the joke I was trying to make.