Thursday, January 29, 2009

Stone

We met Unc, Sharon, and Amy at Stone Brewery last night for dinner. They'd never been there, and the architecture is great, as are the beers of course, and the food is good as well.

Owen was being adorable, charming the pants off everyone around us, watching the fish in the indoor koi pond. We went to play outside for a bit and I noticed a group of twentysomethings at my favorite outdoor table.

This table is set aside from other tables and is covered by a trellace with flowering hops growing around, making the area secluded into a lush green cave. The table seats 8, and is a simple rustic wooden rectangular table. We get this table often, in our bigger groups, and I end up picture something off a Gourmet magazine cover when we dine there.

I watched the group there and a thought hit me quickly: I will never be at the phase in life again where they are now. I envied them completely for a few moments, remembering the late nights out, the flirting, joking, drinking, sharing of secrets. The magic of being in my twenties.

I still maintain that I prefer being thirtysomething. I prefer the perspective, calm, stability, lasting relationships, and comfort of this phase. But I had a blast in my 20s, and am glad things were often a little too dramatic, crazy, fun. I haven't missed out on anything, at least. So, I can't help but miss it for a few moments here and there.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know how you feel. I have similar thoughts when I see a group of 20's at work who are going out together on a Friday after work. Now, on Fridays, I'm looking forward to crashing on the couch and maybe sleeping until 8 on Saturday. I miss the "adventure", but not the drama of it.