Friday, January 30, 2009

Turns out they do learn something from TV

For awhile Owen has been mesmerized with this one skit on Sesame Street that has Elmo singing and dancing with an R&B singer in a songs about signs in the neighborhood.

I actually love this skit, which is good because when it is done Owen usually asks me to replay it at least two more times. Having said that, the skit also cracks me up. I don't know who the R&B singer is, but he is a glorious example of R&B style, wearing matching yellow and green everything. Hat, shoes, clothing, even shoelaces - all coordinated. He looks like he's headed to Oakland A's mascot tryouts.

On top of this, he looks quasi-gangster, so the first time I heard him start singing in a soft falsetto I did a double-take and laughed out loud at the TV. It had not been what I was expecting.

But the song is catchy, and invariably ends up reeling through my head much of the time. It talks about different signs in the neighborhood, like "Stop" "Open", "school", and "zoo". So on the way to Starbucks this morning, and perched atop Daddy's shoulders, Owen pointed to the grocery store and said "Market!". We don't use the term market since we are both under 85, so we realized he must have learned that word from Elmo and the Oakland A's mascot. Turns out they can learn from TV!

2 comments:

JennC said...

You know, even some of us under 85 (okay, barely, I know) and not muppets use the word MARKET. So there.

megtastic said...

btw this is gf beater, chris brown