Sunday, May 18, 2008

Monkey cups

Owen and I took a trip to target on Friday. Anyone who knows me at all knows that Target to me is like a shoe store to Carrie Bradshaw. (I’ve always been pretty easy to please, I know.) We went there specifically for paper towels but of course it’s impossible for me to resist anything cute and kid related. Steph & Eddie got Owen a monkey cup with a straw for his birthday (along with other goodies) and he loves it. I grabbed another couple of adorable cups – a crab, a fish – and after he flirted with the check-out girl for a bit, we headed home. When we got home I realized that Owen’s assorted cups are completely taking over our already-puny kitchen counter. It was time to clear out some space in the cupboards and something had to go. So the battle begins: at what point do we get rid of our margarita glasses? Do we really need to keep any shot glasses? I'm not fooling myself into envisioning a night where Keith and I toss back some body shots after Owen goes to sleep. It just isn't a very good fit with our world anymore. After all, it wasn’t so long ago that our soon-to-be brother-in-law Adam proclaimed with complete sincerity on New Years Eve: “Hey guys, let’s get totally BUZZED!” A very genuine indication of how often we get to hit the sauce nowadays.

Although I like to think there will be a time when we’ve got some friends over and we are celebrating with some nice, icy, tart margaritas…I just can’t see us sitting around with another couple and working up the energy to move the cereal boxes out of the way to the doors to the cabinet above the fridge so I can reach up to grab the dusty blender. Now I register that we put the blender, Peach Schnapps, and Cachaça up above the refrigerator for a reason: we’re never going to use those things ever again. It’s fine with me, too – my husband makes some of the best beer around.

1 comment:

JennC said...

Margaritas taste just as good out of a sippy cup. Trust me on this.