Saturday, June 21, 2008

Daddy

Keith is starting to catch on that Tubby Time is the best choice when given the option of "post-dinner clean-up or tubbies?" In the past, I think (and I may be wrong but I don't think I am) that it stressed Keith out a bit to give Owen a bath. Mostly this was when he was really little and it was a bit tricky to clean Owen's little slippery nakedness without some anxiety that he might squirt out of our grasp and fly across the room. For awhile, when I'd give him the post-dinner choice mentioned above, he'd offer to do the dishes (1) because he knows I love tubby time and (2) because of residual tubby fears from when Owen was tiny. Unfortunately for me, now he gets that tubby time with Owen is the funnest thing ever, and my gig is up.

I realized that I let Father's Day come and go without mention. I'm totally embarassed about this, and also without any clue how to pay homage to Keith on a blog. The truth is that he amazes me with his ability to combine playful, protective, sweet, affectionate, and gentle discipline into every moment he shares with Owen. I've learned a lot from watching him and know that will continue for the rest of our lives. I could, and maybe should, say a lot more about this, about the joy of sharing this child with this particular man, or about the fact that I could watch the two of them play together for hours. But beyond that, I'm going to just say here that I'm one lucky Mama & wife. The way I feel about sharing parenthood with Keith is another one of those things that is just too precious for words.

No comments: