Monday, June 30, 2008

Waiting for Birdy

For the past 15 months I've lamented to Jenn that I know I really want another baby... someday...but it's impossible to imagine that we could get as lucky a second time as we did with Owen. Because of that, I'm pretty sure that any second child will be completely un-cute, and therefore horribly unloved.



As a fear, I admit this is far from original for a new Mom. When I'd go into my neurotic spiral (or, rather, exhibit a slice of my constant neurosis) Jenn would laugh and say "Oh, I have to get this book for you. Waiting for Birdy." I would nod and say "Ok." and we'd move on. This last week, Jenn gave me the book - and oh. my. God. It's almost like this woman looked into my head and read my thoughts and wrote them all down as if to mock me and let me think that other mothers are this insane and paranoid. Reading the book is a bit like having a conversation with Jenn about parenting. In fact, I'm going to ask Jenn if Catherine Newman is really her nom de plume. I suspect it is.



I started bookmarking specific pages with passages that I thought "Hey, next time I'm pregnant I'm going to show this to Keith to describe my mental/physical state." But then I realized I was sliding a bookmark in pretty much every page. So, the bottom line is read it. It's hilarious. And every word of it is true.

1 comment:

JennC said...

I *KNEW* there was a reason I liked Catherine Newman - she reminds me of you! :) Glad you like the book.