Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Puddle

I'm a wreck today.

Owen bit another child at daycare again - he constantly has his hands in his mouth and his teachers are totally sympathetic to the teething situation, but still I had to pick him up from daycare today. Another bite and he's home for a week. A fourth bite, and he's out.

Aside from the fact that it sucks that he bit another kid, the timing really could not be worse. We kept him home Monday and Tuesday because of his fever. I had a new employee start Monday and have barely spent any time with her. Employee of the year, I am not.

I came home and put a snoozing Owen in bed for the remainder of his nap. When I picked him up out of his car seat, he put his little arms around my neck and I was struck again with just how sweet and loving he is. What is this biting about? Is it just teething or is it more? Is he overwhelmed with 8 other kids around?

I came to the computer to look into in-home daycare and nanny options - all of which appear to be significantly cheaper than what we're doing right now, but somehow the thought of taking Owen out of Turtle Rock makes my heart lurch. When we pulled up at the school this morning, he said "Yay yay yay!" He ran into his room, so happy to be back. More than knowing that he loves it there, being able to take Owen to Turtle Rock daycare is somehow intricately linked to my sanity. Going back to work was so hard and knowing that he was there made it a million times easier, at least that is what I think.

So the thought of putting him in a different daycare setting without lots of friends, without all the play yards, without all the women who literally beam when he walks in the door every morning, it just breaks my heart and I am a total puddle.

They told me to wait - we don't need to find another option yet and we'll keep working on it, but I just don't know how hopeful I am that my little 15-month old can follow their guidelines.

1 comment:

JennC said...

Oh honey, I hope you are feeling better today. This is a phase. The people at TR should understand this - and probably do. My guess is that this won't become a worst-case scenario, but even if it does you will all be fine. You will. I promise.
XOXO