Thursday, July 3, 2008

Hanging in there

I went to daycare with Owen today. Not exactly what Keith and I had in mind for our Date Day v2.0, but it is what it is.

I realize that I'm a neurotic mess about this but at the same time I kind of have to be. And also, this whole motherhood thing has really amplified my complete inability to filter out stress. I can't miss more work. Owen is likely to try again to bite. And if he succeeds, we'll have to (1) stay home with him for a week and then possibly (2) leave Turtle Rock which will mean that I have to look into finding another place for him, which is more time away from work. It's exhausting that this is taking up so much space in my brain, but I almost feel like someone has hung a bowling ball from my earring and then told me to try to ignore it.

I see lots of opportunities for him to bite other kids without Maria or Judy being able to get to him in time, so I understand their dilemma. Just like there are plenty of opportunities for the other kids to push, smack, or steal toys from the other kids; these are all age-appropriate behaviors, but biting is the social taboo of toddlerhood. Whenever I tell someone this situation I always feel the need to emphasize the teething while flashing my I'm-a-loving-Mommy jazz hands and insisting that my kid really is as great as I say he is. And, it's all true. He's not biting because he's a mean kid. He's biting because, well, baby fingers feel good on teething gums. Everyone is pretty clear about why it started; we're just worried that it's turning into a habit to grab fingers and put them in his mouth.

Anyway, life goes on. Keith and I went to Gypsy Den for lunch while Owen napped, then grabbed a beer at the Goat Hill Tavern, and Keith housed me at shuffleboard. After ordering too much food at lunch, I was far too full to drink my beer, and Keith was far too interested in their beer selection to leave in a time-frame that suited my anxiety about picking Owen up after his nap. It was a fun afternoon, but I was just too distracted to really enjoy it. Hey, on a happy note, my camera is fixed so we'll be able to upload new photos soon. More jazz hands!

Once we got home the fun finally, truly began. Books galore with an adorably goofy and affectionate kiddo. I got to listen to the boys play, read, and wrestle while I cooked dinner. Owen and I did tubbies and then the little Man went to sleep snuggled against me. I love being a Mom so much. I just wish I knew that I was doing everything right.

No comments: