Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Squirmy Valentine

We got our school portraits for Owen the other day. Of course, they’re totally adorable and he was such a good boy – they took three pics and got three smiles. But…I guess they decided to not photoshop out the big drool spot after all. In a way, I’m glad; I mean it does accurately reflect how he looks most of the time because let’s face it: he’s a baby and produces way more saliva than his body sees the need to swallow at this stage. It also looks a little like an grease spot, though. Which I guess it could be: he’s got 6 teeth now, and they are pretty sharp. Maybe he sneaked some fried chicken past me on the drive into daycare that morning.

Keith and I are working on a new night time routine with Owen. We’ve traditionally walked him to sleep in a baby carrier. This worked great (and actually still does) but I think we’re both worried about the prospect of finding a carrier big enough to hold a 12-year old child someday, so we’re deciding it’s time for a new routine. Since we’re not believers in the cry-it-out method, we’ve gotten the No Cry Sleep Solution which we’re hoping is our answer to getting the boy to sleep. Last night was the first night with our new “routine”. It was almost like Owen sensed something new was going on and it made him REALLY HYPER. He was trying to climb off the bed, squirm out of our arms, do anything but GET SLEEPY. Finally he went to sleep out of sheer physical exhaustion, I think. Here’s to hoping night 2 goes better. We’ve had an easy baby for so long that neither of us is used to more than 10 minutes of frustration (yes, I know – we’re lucky, I’ll shut up about it soon). So last night, with 45 minutes of squirmy not-sleepy baby was just torture for me. How did I fail at motherhood, why is my child not able to self-soothe, etc. I’m guessing the experts would tell me to give it more than one night.

Happy Valentines Day everyone!

No comments: